And finally Fave #4 - "An old guy parachuting off a windmill, that says Eurovision!" as one of the SBS compares put it.
Well Eurovision is over for another year and I've thoroughly enjoyed this year's event. Won't say who won as there are still folk out there that have recorded but not watched it yet. Two reasons why this year's was more enjoyable - my media/internet blackout (didn't read my friends pages in LJ or Facebook, didn't watch any news or listen to a radio) worked, and Kevin and Michelle were away for the weekend. I look forward to next year's in... ...oops - almost gave it away!
And now, a song that narrowly escaped being the lowest voted one of the night (canyou guess which country had the lowest vote?):
Note that this version doesn't show the costume change witrh the butterfly wings.
And the song that I said sounded like an Australian Idol entry won. Next year it's in Moscow, much to the disappointment of Mr Wogan, who lamented the UK's poor showing (it tied for last). One of the highlights of the finals is Wogan's scathing commentary. I have to agree with him however that Spain's entry (a bizarre novelty song) didn't really deserve the voting it got.
- Iceland - gay icon material (it's the hair)?
the song is pretty bland - "this is the life, wouldn't change a thing" : 2
- Sweden - almost wearing a dress and legs down to her shoes;
the song's OK, sort of : 2
- Turkey - short hair and black clothes but they are a band and not a solo act ; best sounding song so far though : 2.5
- Ukraine - gasp, she's in a dress that looks like she stole it from the Swedish entry. No drag queens this year, and this lady's anything but shady : 2
So far, most of the songs sound very much the same.
- Lithuania - a serious voice with a vampire mullet and leather pants (Meatloaf after the Oprah Diet?), yet another solo act but without dancers ; and the lyrics sort of match : 1
- Albania - mmm, nice but dull, but an extra point for not being in English : 2
- Switzerland - liked the song, and the group seemed OK, with decent camera work (fireworks?) : 2.5
- Czech Republic - the all white & skin review, and more bloody fireworks!? : 2
- Belarus - oooh, interesting sound, standing on mushrooms (?) though another song in English: 2.5
There seems to be a pattern of monochrome looking acts. The Ukraine entry even looked like she was in black and white!
- Latvia - Pirates! Disney has much to answer for, though I doubt that this act will win the contest : 2
- Croatia - OK, guys in black and white fedoras and matching outfits, singing some sort of ballad. The old guy in white ("75 cents")reminds me of nightmares or Twin Peaks, and now they're playing what looks like soft drink bottles! : 3
- Bulgaria - Disco is not dead! More of an electro-reggae-thingamie. Oh bugger, they've spoilt it by singing, and I don't like the lighting : 1.5
- Denmark - Sounds like something you'd hear on Australian Idol, and he looks like he'd be a contestant too. Johnny Young where are you? : 1
- Georgia - She looks like Jackie Onassis slumming and her voice is sort of limited. My dogs are barking along with the song! : 1
Can you tell that I've a few glasses of fruit juice & Stone's Green Ginger Wine?
- Hungary - Total contrast with the previous act. Nice voice and not overwhelmed by backup singers. : 2
- Malta - Nice beat, and should make the top of the charts, in 1982. Nice boots, even if they are white (and the rest of the outfit's black) : 2
- Cypress - Oddly enough, a good song to follow the previous one. I like it, even if it is a throwback to Fred Astaire flicks : 2.1
- F.Y.R. Macedonia - Mmm, nice melody, though the dancers look like they're trying to be pimps and failing. : 1.5
- Portugal - Gasp, what dresses are they wearing? Are they pregnant? Seems terribly deep song about, um, something. : 2
After this, it's up to the voting to pick 10 from the 19 to go into the finals.
Here's how I rated the acts. And the winners (picked by Eurovision) who will go on to the finals, are listed in [braces]:
- Finland - in the finals for sure!
though they must be cold in those leathers
(sounds like they're singing "Mr Mi-head missed a star") : 3
- Romania - sung in Italian, very touching and oddly
enough reminds me of an ABBA song : 1
- Russia - hey this sounds like a cover version,
especially in English, though nice violin: 1.5
- Greece - English again
"I'm not easy but I'm 0tr0ue"(argh - playful dog attack) : 2
At first I thought the stage was small, but when they pulled back I saw just how big the theatre/stadium was.
- Ireland - OK, the main singer is a puppet! (need I say more?)
ooooh - there was booing from the audience : 1
- Andorra - um, what is she wearing on her head? : 2
- Bosnia/Herzegovina - sorta OK: 2
- Armenia - not bad but without the dancers in black?
I keep thinking of belly dancing with this one : 1
- Netherlands - another English song, and lacking,
doesn't sound very dutch : 1